What to give a poodle?How and what to feed the puppy and adult pet poodle? When they talk about dog nutrition, many owners immediately decide that the main food is meat. However, only meat feeding can kill a dog.
From the very first days, a sensible host will establish a balanced diet, including enough protein, fat, vitamins for dogs, minerals and trace elements.
The diet of a poodle should consist of animal and plant food containing all the substances necessary for the body. It was established that in order to ensure the normal functioning of the dog's body per 1 kg of weight per day, it is required: proteins 4-5 g, 1-2 fats, 12-15 carbohydrates, 8-10 g of mineral salts; vitamins: A - 1-5 mg, B1 - 0.5, C - 10, B2 - 2-3, PP - 10 mg.
Feeding the Poodle with Natural Products
The main feed is meat (beef) and meat products, which should be about 2/3 of the diet. Meat fresh or frozen after thawing is usually fed raw in the form of small pieces or minced meat. The daily rate of its from 30 to 400 grams, depending on the mass and age of the poodle. You can give salty meat, but it is pre-soaked in water, boiled and fed at half the daily dose.
Meat by-products (legs, trimmings, heads) have a slightly lower nutritional value, therefore their daily rate should be increased by 50-75%. They are given only in boiled form. Meat dog should be fed chopped into pieces, the stuffing is suitable only for puppies and sick dogs, when you need to give medicine. Part of the dog's need for animal protein can be covered with eggs. 1-2 times a week you can feed a poodle a hard-boiled and finely chopped egg.
A desirable component of the diet of the poodle should be fish. It is given 1-2 times a week, replacing meat. Sea fish is fed raw, freshwater - boiled. You should first remove the fins and bones. The daily rate is from 30 to 300 g. Puppies up to 3 months old give fish only boiled, cleaned of scales and viscera.
Milk and dairy products (cottage cheese, kefir, etc.) are nutritionally valuable, digestibility and digestibility very valuable food products, especially in the nutrition of puppies and lactating bitches. Milk and dairy products, as a rule, are fed raw. The daily rate of milk can be 0.1-1 l. Calcined cottage cheese is very useful. It is prepared as follows. Calcium chloride is poured into the boiling milk (1 tbsp of spoon for 0.5 l). After the milk is curdled, the curd is thrown onto gauze.
Of the vegetable feed, croup (oat-flakes, rice, millet, buckwheat) is most common in feeding the poodle. Pearl barley and barley poodle, like dogs of other breeds, do not eat willingly. Croup is boiled and fed in the form of semi-liquid porridges. 100-500 g of cereals can be given per day. Bread, crackers, flat cakes (up to 300 g per day) are widely used in the diet of the poodle. They can be added to milk or given in natural form, usually after the main meal.
The main source of vitamins for the poodle are vegetables and fruits. It is very useful to feed fresh and sauerkraut, lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, beets, cucumbers, spinach, young nettles, leaves of young dandelions, any fruit. The daily rate is not more than 200-300 g. Cabbage, beets, spinach, lettuce, parsley, dill, celery are used in raw form, finely chopped or ground, usually as an additive to the main feed, and also boiled.
Young spring nettles are cut as small as possible and doused with boiling water to neutralize its burning villi. It is very good to hound a dog with a vegetable salad, seasoned with vegetable oil or sour cream, and give it to one of the feeds. It is advisable that your poodle love apples, berries and other fresh fruits. To enrich food with vitamins, you can use fish oil (1-2 teaspoons per day).
For the prevention of worms in a dog, it is recommended to give garlic, cut into small pieces and hidden in minced meat, once a week. Dwarf poodle dose - at the tip of a knife, small - in two, and large - three times more. As anthelmintic can be given boiled pumpkin.
To prevent the formation and removal of tartar in a dog, you can add crushed tomatoes or raw tomato juice without salt three times a week to food. After regular use of tomato juice, old stones are very easily removed, and new ones are not formed.
Of great importance in the diet of the poodle are minerals - calcium, sodium, phosphorus, etc. The main source of minerals in the dog's diet are raw bones. Additionally give sea kale and flax seed, passed through a coffee grinder. With a lack of minerals in the dog's body, bone meal, coal, yeast, and glycerophosphate, 1-2 teaspoons per day, are used as mineral supplements.
Many breeders themselves make a mineral mixture of the following composition: 40 tablets of calcium glycerophosphate, 40 - calcium lactate, 10 - phytin, 15 - activated charcoal. All this is carefully ground to the state of powder, mixed and stored in a dry place (1/3 can of beer yeast is added before use). The finished mixture is added daily to feed at ¼ - 2 ½ tsp.
A constant component in feeding a poodle is raw water. She should always be in a specially allocated for this dish in the same place accessible to the dog at any time. The daily need for water is about 1.5 - 2 liters. However, when feeding dry food, hot weather, the need for water increases.
The need of a poodle in the feed is determined by taking into account body weight, time code, age, sex, physiological state, caloric content of food. It is necessary to make a full-fledged diet, balanced for all food components. Products must be fresh and of high quality. Approximate daily rations for an adult poodle are shown in the table. Using the tabular data and fantasizing a little, you can make your own diet for your dog.
Approximate daily diet for an adult poodle
Pygmy and Toy Poodle
Meat and meat products, grams
1 pc. 2-3 times a week
Bread, crackers, pieces
1-3 after meals
Mineral mixture, h. Spoon
Meat and meat products,
Vegetables, fruits, g
Mineral and vitamin supplements
If necessary, in the indicated doses
It is estimated that the daily amount of food for adult dogs is: for a large poodle 850-1000 grams, for a small one - 600 - 850, a dwarf - 450-600 and a toy poodle - 350-450 grams. For pregnant and puppy dogs, this mass should be increased: in the second week of pregnancy - by 1.5 times, in the third-sixth - by 2, and by the end of pregnancy - by 1.2 times; for the lactating bitch - in the first or second week - 2.5 times, in the third or fifth week - 3.5 times.
Schenchen bitch is fed with full-fledged food with plenty of liquid (milk, soups, warm sweet tea). During this period, a bowl of food should always be near the dog. If a dog has a poor appetite during pregnancy and whelping, little milkiness, then it is given apilac, milk with tea, cottage cheese.
The nutrition of the stud dog should be especially complete with a predominance of protein feed (meat, cottage cheese) and vegetables with the addition of vitamins A, B, C, D, E. Be sure to add 2-3 eggs per week to the diet.
Puppies in the first days of life eat only mother's milk. From about the 10th day (and with a large litter from the 5-6th day) they should be started to be lured. As bait puppies give whole cow or goat milk (25-30g), heated to a temperature of 25-30 degrees. Chicken egg yolk is added to 1 liter of milk. First, milk is given from a bottle with a nipple, and after about a week they teach the puppy to varnish.
It is good to feed a puppy with a Detolact type milk mixture of 20-30 grams per reception with the addition of a mixture of a few drops of lemon and 10-20 grams of honey to a glass. From the 15th day, minced meat (20-25g), cereal and other feed are introduced into the puppy's food, gradually increasing their quantity. It is useful to add grated carrots or butter to the mince (20g of meat + 10g of carrots or 2g of butter). Puppies are usually weaned at 30-40 days of age.
By this time they should be accustomed to self-intake of various foods. The normal development of a puppy can be determined by the increase in live weight: by the 9th day it doubles, by the time of weaning from the mother increases about 10 times. Puppies need vitamins. Therefore, after a day they are given 1 drop of vitamins A and D2 in oil, a large poodle from 5 months - 2 and 3 drops; small and dwarf - 2 times less.
Puppies up to 3 months old are fed 6 times a day, at 3-6 months old - 4 times, at 6-12 months old - 3 times. At the age of 12 months, the dog is considered an adult and you can feed it 1-2 times a day. Each owner can independently make a diet for his pet, taking into account the availability of products, guided by the given norms. Here, for example, what is recommended diet for the small poodle.
Feeding a poodle puppy from 1 to 3 months
- 7-8 h - semi-liquid porridge (except for manna) - 2 tbsp. spoons;
- 10-11 h - Calcined cottage cheese - 1-2 tbsp. spoons;
- 13-14 h - raw minced beef - 2.5 tbsp. spoons and a day to 0.5 teaspoons of fish oil
- 16-17 h - fruits, grated carrots - 2-3 h. Spoons, milk - 4 h. Spoons;
- 19-20 h - raw minced meat, it is possible with grated vegetables - 2-3 tsp;
- 22-23 h - 2 crackers of the type for children soaked in milk.
- Once a week - egg yolk; Once a week - raw cartilaginous bone (as in the brisket).
Feeding a poodle puppy from 3 to 6 months
- 7-8 h - porridge or rolled oats - 2-3 tbsp. spoons;
- 13-14 h - 2.5-4 tbsp. spoons of raw minced meat mixed with 3-4 tsp of chopped vegetables (carrots, cabbage, beets, garlic);
- 18-19 h - calcinated cottage cheese or 2-3 croutons soaked in milk;
- 21-22 h - 3-5 tbsp. spoons of raw minced mixed with 1-2 tbsp. spoons of raw vegetables.
- At 3 months - raw egg yolk and cartilaginous bone - once a week; 0.5 teaspoons of fish oil - every day.
- At 4 months - shaken raw egg and soft raw bones - 1 time per week; 0.5 tsp fish oil every day
- At 5 months - shaken raw egg and soft raw bones - 2 times a week; 0.5 tsp fish oil every day
- At 6 months - shaken raw egg - 3 times a week; raw bones - 2 times a week; 0.5 tsp of fish oil every day.
Nutrition puppy poodle from 7 months to 1 year
- 7-8 h - porridge or rolled oats with calcinated cottage cheese, 4 crackers soaked in milk can be used.
- 13-14 h - 4 tbsp. spoons of finely chopped meat mixed with 2 tbsp. spoons of vegetables;
- 20-21 h - 5-7 Art. spoons of sliced meat mixed with 3 tbsp. spoons of vegetables.
If the dog does not eat calcined cottage cheese, then up to 1.5 years, you must give 2-3 tablets of calcium gluconate every day. Every day - 0.5 tsp of fish oil.
Food poodle from 1 year to 1.5 years
- 7-8 h - 4 tbsp. spoons of sliced meat with 2 tbsp. spoons of vegetables and 1 tbsp. spoonful of raw oatmeal;
- 18-19 h - 6-8 Art. spoons of raw meat mixed with 3 tbsp. spoons of vegetables
- 3 times a week - raw egg; Once a week - raw bones, 0.5 tsp of fish oil - every day.
Do not feed the dog only waste from the table. Such a diet will be unbalanced and insufficient for full feeding, which will adversely affect the growth, development and physiological state of the poodle.
We should not forget that there are “loose” breeds of dogs that necessarily need a large body weight (St. Bernard, Newfoundland, etc.), and there are elegant breeds, such as Great Danes, Poodles, Pinchers and many others, whose standard does not allow hanging belly and a lot of weight. The poet can not overfeed the poodle. In the standard standard poodle, the ribs should be palpable, but at the same time it should not be hunched.
If you increase the mass, try to walk more with the dog. First of all, exclude flour and cereals from the diet, and sometimes arrange one unloading day per week. From the poodle delicacies, you can give walnuts: dwarf - ½ walnut per day, small - 1, large - 2. Useful dried fruits: raisins, dried apricots, prunes, apples.
Basic requirements for feeding the poodle:
- It is necessary to feed a poodle in strictly certain place, at the same time.
- The dishes should not be on the floor, but on a special stand at the level of the dog's chest. Clean it immediately after feeding, even if not everything is eaten. It should always be clean.
- For a dog in a certain place fresh raw water should always be standing.
- You should not feed the dog in the kitchen when food is being prepared, and also combine feeding the dog with food intake by family members.
- From the very beginning, teach your dog not to beg at the table, let it know that its food is in a bowl and in a strictly defined place.
It is not recommended to give a poodle:
- Thick and dense porridge, fresh bread, pasta. This food is poorly digested, almost not absorbed and creates a favorable environment for the reproduction of worms;
- Smoked meat, fatty meat, pork heads, canned meat, spices, a large amount of salt. The result of such feeding can be gastritis, a stomach ulcer in a dog;
- Avian, fish and sharp beef bones, ribs, any boiled bones. Boiled bones are not destroyed by the action of gastric juice and enzymes, and sharp - injure the stomach;
- Legumes (ripe peas, beans), boiled potatoes. Very rough fiber and starch are not digested in the stomach of dogs and cause fermentation, increased gas separation and irritation of the rectal membrane;
- Chocolate, sweets, cookies, muffins and other sweets;
- rotten and soured foods;
- Do not combine in one feeding meat and dairy products. The poodle has a very tender liver and it does not tolerate a violation of the diet.
You can not use as a mineral dressing egg shells!
Feeding the poodle with canned food and dry food
Recently, much attention has been paid to special dry dog food. There were so many of them, different in composition and concentration, that fit and get lost. However, if you teach a poodle to dry food and canned food with a small puppy, it will be good for you and the dog. For you, the only care will be to choose the most suitable food, periodically diversifying them, and the dog will get with ready food all that her body needs. Such feeding will be called correct and rational.
While feeding dry food, do not forget that the dog should drink plenty of water. A bowl of fresh water should always stand next to a meal.
Canned food for dogs consists of slaughtered livestock waste, animal flour, prepared from meat, cartilage, viscera, skin and bones, fish meal, soy, defatted soy flour, wheat gluten, dried blood. The label usually indicates what canned foods are prepared with: liver, chicken, meat or fish, i.e. what ingredient prevails over others.