Pancreatitis in dogs is a disease of the pancreatic glandular tissue, in which it becomes inflamed, and the patency of the ducts is disturbed. Later, when the disease is neglected, the parenchyma of the gland develops and the endocrine and exocrine functions are significantly impaired.
Pancreatitis in dogs can be primary or secondary, its course is acute or chronic.
Primary pancreatitis most often occurs as a result of poisoning and intoxication of the dog's body with feed additives and even some types of feed. Secondary becomes a consequence of hepatitis, pathology of the biliary tract, gastroenteritis, gastritis, cirrhosis of the liver, peptic ulcer, various cancer diseases. Not rarely, pancreatitis occurs in dogs with infectious diseases - leptospirosis, plague, adenovirosis, parvovirus enteritis, etc., and in some invasions, such as demodicosis.
Symptoms of pancreatitis in dogs
- The first sign of pancreatitis is a decrease or complete disappearance of appetite against the background of a general depression. Periodically, the animal has bouts of anxiety, as well as feeling the abdominal wall in the navel and on the left side of the dog reacts to pain.
- Vomiting also occurs and becomes frequent. The abdominal wall is strained, and the stomach is swollen. Severe diarrhea develops. Body temperature rises, especially in acute pancreatitis, which are a complication of infection.
- The dog quickly loses weight, the mucous membrane of the mouth dries out, it often urinates and itches due to the occurrence of skin itching. Blood tests show hyperglycemia (high sugar (glucose), and glucose in the urine (also the presence of glucose).
- Fecal mass becomes either very dense with excess starch, or ointment.
- In urine and blood, amylase activity increases dramatically. Increased and ESR (electrocyte sedimentation rate). As a rule, leukocytosis is observed with a shift to the left during exacerbation of chronic pancreatitis and the acute form.
With similar symptoms, it is necessary to urgently refer to a veterinarian who, in a comprehensive manner, taking into account clinical signs, anamnesis, the results of laboratory testing of blood, urine and fecal masses, will make the correct diagnosis.
Treatment of pancreatitis in dogs
- Only a doctor can prescribe the correct treatment for a dog with this condition. Therefore, the animal must be urgently taken to the clinic or in case of severe disease, call the veterinarian at home.
- Treatment of pancreatitis is primarily directed to the elimination of the patient’s underlying disease, which caused pancreatitis or etiological factor.
- In this case, always be sure to diet food with a small amount of carbohydrates. With natural feeding, the amount of porridge is reduced, and when feeding with dry food a suitable treatment line is selected.
- The diet should be enriched with vitamins and microelements.
- For secondary pancreatitis, which are a consequence of infectious diseases, broad-spectrum antibiotics are prescribed in the form of injections. To reduce the painful sensations give a variety of antispasmodics and analgesics. Assign enzymes and conduct a course of vitamin therapy.
Further requires a strict diet. As well as prevention consists in balanced and regular feeding of dogs, preventing infection with their invasive and infectious diseases. It is necessary to effectively and quickly eliminate hepatitis in dogs, gastritis, gastroenteritis and other non-communicable diseases.