Gastritis in dogs is an inflammation of the gastric mucosa. It is accompanied by a disorder of the motor, secretory and endocrine function of the organ.
The causes of gastritis are several. This is poor quality or too uniform food, as well as hot or too cold food, frequent and excessive feeding, diseases of the oral cavity and teeth. Also, the cause of gastritis can be worms in dogs, long-term medication, irritating the stomach, food allergies or diseases of the endocrine system and chronic infections, ulcers, tumors, vitamin deficiencies.
Symptoms of gastritis in dogs
- The most common symptom of gastritis in dogs is vomiting. It arises due to the fact that the irritated pancreas is not able to properly process the food.
- In acute gastritis vomiting can last more than a week. The dog refuses to eat, loses weight, looks depressed. Emetic masses with an admixture of mucus, and sometimes bile.
- White tongue is visible on the tongue, and tenderness is noted in the area of the stomach.
- Body temperature may be elevated, and feces liquid and dark.
- In chronic gastritis, the temperature often does not rise, but the animal loses weight, eats poorly, sometimes it has vomiting, liquid feces, and jaundice mucous membrane of the eye for no apparent reason. Often vomiting in a dog occurs yellow mucus after eating grass.
This form of the disease can last for years.
To confirm the diagnosis, a roentgenoscopy of the stomach and examination of its contents is necessary.
Treatment of gastritis in dogs
Prescribes treatment only a doctor, because the form of the disease can be very different with high or low acidity.
- With acute gastritis at least a day, it is necessary to keep the animal on a starvation diet.
- Gastric lavage is also prescribed, but vomiting is not recommended. Two days after the diet, mucous broths are given to the animal with the addition of raw chicken eggs. Later in small portions and often they feed vegetable or oatmeal soup, grated carrots, minced meat from lean meat.
- When the body is dehydrated, saline is administered intravenously. Deep warm mucous enemas are made.
- If gastritis is caused by exposure to infection or pathogenic microflora, the veterinarian prescribes antibiotic treatment. When constipation dog give a laxative.
- In chronic gastritis, the animal is fed in small portions, but often. Before each feeding, give al-Magel.
- If a decrease in gastric acidity or its absence is diagnosed, replacement therapy is carried out. The dog is prepared a mixture of two parts of dilute hydrochloric acid and the same amount of pepsin, as well as water. Assign it three times a day to two tablespoons before meals.