Dog diarrhea ... What to do? How to treat? What to give a dog from diarrhea? A healthy dog should go to the toilet about two to four times a day. If her food quality and full, then the feces strong and well formed, do not spread.
If the feces become watery or it goes to the toilet more often than usual, then we can say that the dog has diarrhea or diarrhea.
Causes of diarrhea in dogs
Diarrhea can cause a variety of reasons:
- substandard or simply inappropriate dog foods;
- abrupt diet change, for example, from natural food to dry food;
- hit in the intestines of small foreign objects;
- worms (helminthiasis);
- chemical poisoning;
- infectious diseases, for example, parvovirus enteritis;
- allergic conditions;
- damage to the intestinal wall of a foreign object;
- deficiency of gastric juice;
- German Shepherds often have diarrhea as a result of a disruption of the bowels and pancreas;
- in older dogs, a cancer can be caused by diarrhea that affects the organ of the digestive system.
It is very important to determine the cause of the disorder in time, as some need urgent measures. For example, infectious diseases that are very dangerous for puppies as a result of which diarrhea quickly leads to dehydration and the death of a baby.
Symptoms of diarrhea in dogs
Symptoms of diarrhea in a dog depend on the strength of the disease and the cause of its occurrence. It can be:
- much softer or liquid feces;
- copious watery feces with a pungent odor of a very dark color and even with blood;
- colored feces - brown, yellow, black, green diarrhea in dogs;
- pain during stool from which the dog whines;
- the dog constantly asks for a toilet and may even go home;
- few feces, but the dog walks too often;
- a mixture of liquid feces with mucus is especially characteristic of colitis;
- the dog is restless, it is clear that she has a stomach ache;
- the animal quickly loses weight;
- watery feces and visible jelly-like mucus and traces of blood, which means damage to the intestinal walls;
- diarrhea with vomiting;
- I hear a tumult in my stomach
The dog has diarrhea with blood
- All sorts of poisonings (dogs tend to pick up anything on the street). It happens that it causes poisoning and diarrhea. In some cases, the irritation is so strong that blood appears in the diarrhea.
- Parvovirus enteritis. This disease is mainly characteristic of puppies from 2 months to a year.
- Traumatic entero-colitis. It may occur after eating inedible and sharp things, such as sticks, bones and others. As a result, diarrhea appears, and blood is the result of mechanical damage to the intestinal mucosa.
- Side effect of painkillers.
Treating diarrhea, how to feed a dog?
How to treat diarrhea in dogs? Treatment depends on other symptoms that accompany diarrhea. If the dog has only diarrhea, and otherwise it looks active and healthy, then the cause of the disease is poor-quality or too fatty foods.
In this case, the best treatment is daily fasting with constantly fresh water. After fasting, the dog should be fed easily digestible non-fatty foods: boiled rice, hard-boiled egg, chicken or fish. Food should be given special for dogs with digestive disorders.
If, in addition to diarrhea in the dog's pain, the animal looks bad, sleeps a lot, or vomits, it is urgent to call the veterinarian at home or take the animal to a veterinary clinic. Because in this case, treatment will require an immediate infusion of saline through a dropper, the use of antibiotics (especially if there is traces of blood in the stools) and the introduction of anti-inflammatory drugs, de-worming.