Poisoning in dogs is a consequence of poison in the body. This can happen intentionally (someone wants to poison the dog) or by accident. The danger to the life of the dog is acute poisoning, which can proceed very hard.
Dogs are less picky about food than cats. Most often, they eat everything they give, and strive to chew on any object that comes their way. So, some owners doom a pet to suffering if:
- Feed him spoiled food. The statement that the dog's stomach is capable of digesting even stones is a myth that has long been debunked. If you give your pet to eat, then what is time to throw away, you risk causing him acute food poisoning.
- It is not enough to hide detergents and disinfectants, as well as mixtures for processing plants, hair dye and any chemicals. Especially dangerous: means for the extermination of rats (rat poison), insects, parasites.
- Wrong dosage of drugs, in particular - tablets and anti-worms mixtures.
- Give your pet substandard cheap dry dog food of dubious manufacturer.
- Allow your pet to walk without supervision on the street or at the dacha. In the countryside, your glutton can lick vegetables that have been treated with an agent containing poison. For example, one drop of anabasine (a substance that is commonly found in pesticides) can kill a pet. In addition, in nature, a dog can be supported by poisonous plants: belladonna, bleached, dope. In the city, the dog, left to himself, usually "tests" the contents of the garbage can, nibbles butts and everything that seems edible to him.
With the emergence of activists who call themselves dog hunters (dog hunters), even the usual walking of a dog in the city can end in tragedy. These cruel people set out to destroy stray dogs. To get their way, they throw bait with poison over parks and lawns, along which curious animals stroll.
So, picked up a tasty morsel on the street can lead to the death of a pet. This has already happened in the park of the 50th anniversary of October in Moscow, as a result of which about 12 domestic dogs died from poison. Poisoned animals died in terrible agony: the hosts who were not prepared for this situation did not know how to help them ...
And not so long ago, in Vladivostok, Boniface's diver-dog, known in Russia and other countries of the world for its underwater exploits, died from poisoning. She, too, was supported by a poisonous substance for a walk ...
Types of poisoning in dogs
All canine poisoning can be divided into food and not food. Non-food ones are caused by the bites of poisonous insects and animals, harmful chemicals on hair, skin, respiratory organs and mucous membranes.
Food poisoning occurs when toxins get into the dog's digestive system. This is the most common problem, as the dog may pick something up while walking. The dog may be poisoned by spoiled food, rat poison left over from disinfestation, available medications or isoniazid that someone could scatter on purpose.
Symptoms of poisoning in the dog
Symptoms depend on how the animal is poisoned. The most common symptoms are:
- profuse salivation,
- rapid shallow breathing
- depression or, on the contrary, overexcitement.
Usually the symptoms of poisoning in dogs occur quickly and rapidly aggravated.
In case of poisoning with rat poison, the diarrhea will be with blood, the dog will rise in temperature, and the mucous membranes will turn pale. There is also tachycardia, the animal groans.
When isoniazid poisoning occurs, other symptoms occur. The animal is confused with consciousness, it may begin to randomly run, while it shakes, it loses its orientation. Also, there is vomiting, drowsiness, from the mouth appears foam, often bloody, there is respiratory depression, prolonged seizures, coma.
First aid for dog poisoning
What to do if the dog is poisoned? What should she give? It is always very important to determine its cause. At the same time you can not lose a minute, as the poison quickly enters the body, and the condition of the dog becomes heavier.
In any case, first aid should be the removal of poison from the body. When food poisoning is necessary to cause vomiting: saline solution (a tablespoon of salt in a glass of warm water) or diluting 1: 1 hydrogen peroxide.
If the dog was bitten by an insect. Something cold should be applied to the affected area: ice or compress. When a snake bites from the wound, it is urgent to remove the poison.
If poisonous chemicals get on the dog's skin, they should be washed off with plenty of water. In case of poisoning with chemical vapors, the animal should be taken to a well ventilated room or outside. Inhalation of turpentine vapor and gasoline in a dog can cause convulsions and vomiting. She needs to give a couple of tablespoons of vegetable oil, and a little later - a laxative.
Help with isoniazid poisoning
- When the first suspicions appear, one should induce vomiting, for example, with a saline solution (a tablespoon per glass of water) or pour half a glass of vegetable oil into the mouth.
- Since this drug is well absorbed by activated charcoal, the dog should be given 1-3 grams of activated carbon per 1 kg of weight.
- You must also enter the antidote - pyridoxine (B6) (3-5 g) and give Corvalol: for 30 kg 30 drops.
- The dog must be constantly watered, you can milk diluted with water. And immediately contact a veterinary clinic or call a veterinarian at home.
How to cure a dog from poisoning? How to help her?
- In case of food poisoning after vomiting caused, it is necessary to clean the dog's stomach with adsorbents. These are activated carbon, egg white, burnt magnesia, kaolin (white clay). You can give the dog strong tea, a weak solution of potassium permanganate, milk.
- For the final elimination of toxins, the stomach is washed with a probe, and if more than two hours have passed since the poisoning, use an enema with salted water (a teaspoon to a glass of water), but the water temperature should not exceed 30 degrees.
- Further treatment prescribed by the doctor after the diagnosis. For example, in case of poisoning with rat poison, an antidote is necessary - vitamin K. Drip infusions of solutions are also carried out: Ringer-Locke, glucose, Trisol. Heart drugs, diuretics, iron preparations are used.