Together with winter magic, cold wind, snowfalls, blizzards and blinding sun rush into our lives. Of course, on weekends, I want to use the weather "leprosy": make a snowman, play snowballs, run with a frisky pet in deep soft snowdrifts.
Moreover, the snow dogs are no less happy than people. But only a long stay in the frost is fraught with serious problems - not only colds, but also frostbite ... will tell you how to keep the pet out of the cold and what to do if you, alas, failed.
Symptoms of frostbite in dogs
Dog pads, ears and tail are most at risk of freezing. It is very easy to determine the frostbite zone: it is clearly separated from healthy tissues by color. Look carefully at the skin: in the affected areas it is pale, cold to the touch.
When frostbite body temperature drops below 36 degrees. The animal is sluggish, feels weak, trembling, chills.
With frostbite do not joke! If you do not take immediate action, your pet may develop an inflammatory process, swelling, redness, and blisters will appear.
What to do if a dog has frostbite?
First of all, warm the animal. Put it in a bath of warm water, then wrap in a towel and cover with a blanket.
Do not rub your pet with a towel, alcohol, or hands! In the people there is an opinion that the skin of an animal, as a human, in order to save it from frost, must be pounded red hot. It's a delusion. Rubbing leads to the formation of blood clots in the vessels!
- Apply a heat-insulating cotton-gauze bandage (7 layers) to the affected part of the body in order to accumulate heat and prevent premature warming of the surface tissues. But! Do not wrap the bandage tightly. It disrupts blood circulation.
- Drink your pet with a solution of warm water and honey. Glucose will warm the body. Immediately after frostbite, the animal loses senseafter warming, it will begin to experience excruciating pain that can be alleviated by pouring some red wine onto the pet’s tongue.
The recipe is based on the healing properties of potatoes. To prepare such a compress you need to stretch the tubers with the peel. Puree should be warm, but, in any case, do not burn the skin.
The compress is applied to the frostbite and wrapped with a rag. After the potatoes cool, it is removed, and the skin is smeared with lemon juice, diluted with water in the ratio of 1/5.
Reduce portions of your pet. During the meal, the blood is attracted to the stomach, and you need to restore blood circulation around the affected skin. A small hunger strike, "frostbitten" does not hurt.
How to avoid hypothermia?
- Wear a warm overalls for your pet. Or a few ordinary ones. Especially if you have a short-haired dog.
- Do not go straight to the street. A sharp temperature drop can adversely affect the health of the dog. Better to stand a couple of minutes in the stairwell, near the door. Let the dog get used to the frost.
- On the street do not stand in one place. Constantly move, change the pace of walking. You should not throw snow on your pet: of course, the snowflakes in the wool look beautiful, but the pet itself is unlikely to enjoy the cold and will benefit.
- Before going out for a walk, apply a thin layer of goose or pork lard onto the pads of the animal.
- Consult a veterinarian. He can recommend a pet special vitamins for dogs.
Need to know!
Chilblains in dogs come in three degrees ...
… the first characterized by mild swelling of the skin, swelling. The affected areas can be cleaned with camphor alcohol or oil. The animal itself must be kept warm. Remember that you can not make tight bandages! With proper treatment, the skin will recover in a few days.
… second degree frostbite a bubble is formed at the site of edema. It is necessary to wash the affected areas with soapy water, dry thoroughly and lubricate the bubbles with a 5% spirotovom solution of iodine. Be sure to consult your veterinarian! An experienced doctor will prescribe a pet antibiotic ointment.
… the most fatal third-degree frostbitein which tissue necrosis occurs. In no case do not try to cure your pet yourself - folk remedies will not help. Immediately take the animal to a good veterinary clinic. Otherwise, the consequences can be dire: the pet will fall into a coma.
Important! Damaged areas remain hypersensitive to cold for a long time and are easily frozen again. Therefore, pay them special attention! Before going out, be sure to lubricate them with calendula ointment: it will reliably protect the skin of your pet.