Does your dog sneeze constantly or often, or sneezes and coughs? What to do? First you need to find out why the dog sneezes. Sneezing is a reflex sharp exhalation through the nose, the purpose of which is to remove foreign particles and mucus from the nasal cavities.
Causes of Sneezing
- If a dog sneezes a couple of times - this is perfectly normal, especially when it happens outside, during games, in dust or on dry ground. Sneezing can also be caused by exhaust fumes, strong odors from aerosol dispensers and fertilizers.
- If a dog often sneezes and shakes his head, scratches his nose, breathes loudly, and discharge or blood flows from the nose, this means that a foreign body (a twig, needle, grass seed or something else) is stuck in its nose.
In this case, the dog must be urgently taken to a veterinarian in order to remove a foreign object.
If a dog sips greedily while sneezing, and blood is flowing from its nose and there are injuries on its face, it is possible that it is injured. For example, while running ran into a solid object. In this condition, veterinary care is also needed to determine the extent of the damage.
With occasional sneezing during the day, especially when accompanied by a runny nose (the dog often licks its nose), the first signs of a cold are suspected. A dog needs to be given rest, not to strain it with physical exercises, to measure the temperature. If the dog has watery snot, no therapy is needed. When mucopurulent exudate in the nose instilled "Sofradex", dexamethasone drops with neomycin, 2% boric acid solution, 0.5% solution of zinc sulfate; gently lubricate the nasal mucosa with 1% erythromycin ointment, 5% liniment of synthomycin.
Most often, sneezing with a runny nose in dogs is caused by viral infections. The most dangerous of them are adenovirosis and plague of carnivores.
- When the distemper in dogs (occurs in animals under 2 years of age) sneezing is accompanied by a runny nose, redness of the nasal mucosa and conjunctivitis. Adenoviroz in dogs is accompanied by rare diarrhea and vomiting.
- Also, a dog can sneeze for infectious diseases such as acute bronchitis and acute pneumonia. They usually in dogs are the result of hypothermia.
- With bronchitis, an additional symptom is a "barking" dry cough, and with pneumonia, in addition to cough, the dog will have shortness of breath and signs of intoxication.
- The cause of sneezing in a dog in the house can be an allergic reaction. Most often, animals react to caustic perfumes, including aftershave lotions. Many dogs are allergic to cosmetic powder.
Sometimes a dog sneezes while eating, throwing liquid food through his nostrils. This is a physiological pathology that occurs when a puppy does not grow a hard palate, as well as in violation of the relaxation of the sphincter of the vestibule of the esophagus and the defect of the muscular membrane of the esophagus - diverticulum.