The dog is not always pleasant medical care or procedure of care. And it also happens that after an operation or wounds you cannot allow an animal to lick, scratch or comb wounds. In order not to sit over the dog, preventing her from scratching where she wants, it is better to use a protective collar. It is also called postoperative.
Such a device is a truncated cone, which is attached by a narrow diameter to the dog's neck. It prevents the paw from scratching the wound on the head (for example, cropped ears) or licking the wound on the body.
When is a protective collar for dogs used?
They are used quite widely:
- in case of ear and eye disease,
- for skin diseases
- when breeding parasites,
- when it is impossible for a dog to lick some time
Thus, it is possible not only to accelerate healing, but also to prevent the spread of secondary infection, as well as poisoning the dog with external preparations. If the postoperative collar is selected or made to fit the dog’s size, it doesn’t even interfere with food intake and it can not be removed at all until the dog is completely cured.
How to teach a dog to a protective collar?
If the operation is planned in advance, then the dog is better to start to teach her to wear a protective collar.
- For starters, the dog can be introduced to the collar, spread out on the floor and allow her to take treats from him.
- Gradually bring the object close to the dog, treating it.
- Now put on the animal's collar and play with it, encouraging delicacies.
- Let her decide that this thing simply complements the fun game.
- At first, you need to wear a collar for only a few minutes, gradually increasing this time. After the dog decides that the device on it is not scary, it should be taught to move in it, and then to sleep.
Even if the operation was urgent or the animal suddenly hurt, it will completely get used to wearing the device in just a couple of days.
Buy or make a dog collar for yourself?
The collar of factory production is made of flexible transparent plastic. There are also woven options. With such a dog will not make noise and will not break it. But plastic is easier to wash and disinfect, and it is also transparent and does not prevent the dog from seeing everything around.
Collars come in different sizes (8, 10, 12, 16, 20) for all breeds of dogs. The smallest is suitable for Chihuahua, and the largest is designed for the shepherd. The collar is also provided with four strips for fixing it on the collar.
To make a protective collar for the dog with your own hands, you can use thin plywood, cardboard or suitable items. For example, for a small dog, a device can be made from an X-ray or a plastic flask by cutting off the bottom and neck. For a big dog, use a plastic soft bucket.