Rhinitis is an inflammation of the nasal mucosa. The nature of this inflammation can be quite different: catarrhal, hemorrhagic, lobar and follicular.
With the flow there are acute and chronic rhinitis, by origin - primary and secondary. The most common catarrhal rhinitis mainly in the cold season.
Causes of rhinitis in dogs
Predisposition to rhinitis is caused by violations in the feeding and maintenance of puppies and dogs. The reduction in the protective functions of the nasal mucosa to the effects of a variety of adverse factors contributes to the lack of dietary macro-and micronutrients, proteins, and vitamins, especially C and A.
Also reduce the natural defense of the body dampness and constant drafts in the room for keeping dogs. Also, rhinitis can occur with a sharp cooling of the body, rapid transitions from cold to heat and vice versa. Hot air, irritating substances, smoke during a fire are dangerous for a dog's nose. Possible and the emergence of secondary rhinitis on the background of the main infectious disease (adenovirosis in dogs or plague) or non-infectious (stomatitis, laryngitis, frontal sinusitis).
Symptoms of rhinitis in dogs
With catarrhal acute rhinitis:
- the dog is somewhat depressed, lethargic,
- her body temperature may be slightly elevated or normal,
- appetite somewhat reduced
- pet sneezes
- constantly licks, sniffs, snorts, sometimes rubs his nose on furniture, walls and other objects,
- breathing breathing, difficult, sometimes with a whistle, exhale and inhale are elongated.
In more severe cases, mixed dyspnea may develop in a dog. When viewed from the nasal mucosa, you can notice a serous outflow at the beginning of the disease and mucous catarrh in the future. Often, the nasal openings are blocked by purulent secretions or thick mucous membranes, sometimes with blood.
The mucous membrane is edematous, reddened, less often with point hemorrhages. Crusts of dried exudate begin to form around the nasal openings. If they are removed, cracks and wounds are formed. After 5-14 days, the dog recovers on its own.
Chronic purulent rhinitis occurs for a long time with periodic exacerbations, depression and emaciation of the dog. When viewed from the nose, its mucous membrane looks pale, it may have areas of ulceration, erosion, connective tissue scars.
Follicular and croupous rhinitis in dogs is not a frequent occurrence. In these forms of the disease expressed:
- high temperature
- stronger oppression
- labored breathing
In the croupous type, gray or gray-yellow overlays appear on the mucous membrane of the nose, under which erosions and wounds are formed. For follicular rhinitis is characterized by 2-3 days after the onset of the disease the appearance of multiple nodules of yellow or gray. After they break up, and erosion or ulcers form in their place.
These forms of rhinitis (runny nose in dogs) last up to three weeks and mostly end in recovery.
The first step is to identify and eliminate the cause of the disease. Otherwise, acute rhinitis will become chronic and will constantly pursue the animal.
- The dog is placed in a dry and warm room, its walking time is limited to the maximum.
- The diet increases the amount of vitamins, especially A, B, E, C, macro-and micronutrients, additionally give a daily multivitamin
With signs of catarrhal rhinitis nasal mucosa washed with disinfectant solutions. You can bury the nose with a pipette, 2-5 drops of decoction of medicinal herbs, such as chamomile, coltsfoot, train, raspberry, violet.
With follicular or croupous rhinitis
- antibiotic solutions for dogs are instilled into the nose.
- the crusts from the nostrils are removed, softening them with a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution,
- after removal, the vaseline is smeared with the circumference of the nasal openings,
- up to four times a day for 10 minutes, pieces of cotton wool moistened with fresh onion juice are inserted into the nostrils,
- nasal cavity lubricated with boric acid or 1-2% menthol ointment.
In chronic rhinitis, persistent nasal discharge irritates the skin, it constantly gets wet. To dry it, you need several times a day to use white streptocide powder. If rhinitis is a complication of a disease, then a runny nose may not stop for months and years. In this case, treatment of the underlying disease is necessary.