In the minds of ordinary people, the Siberian Husky breed is common to all sled dogs. Often you can see ads that sell Alaskan Husky puppies or Siberian Malamute puppies, which can only cause a smile.
Breeding sled dogs by inexperienced owners, who do not even know how to properly name their dog breed, further confuses the situation. In fact, Alaskan Malamutes and Siberian Huskies are two different breeds that belong to the same general category of northern sled dogs.
Differences of the Siberian Husky breed from the Alaskan Malamute
These two breeds are very different from each other. Any person who communicated with representatives of these riding breeds will surely distinguish them from each other, not only in appearance, but also in character. Even the manner of movement of these dogs is different.
Malamute and Husky differences have, above all, in the destination.
- Malamute was bred as a strong dog capable of carrying heavy loads not very quickly, but this dog can run for very long without traces of fatigue.
- In Huskies, the main advantage is the speed, due to which it moves rapidly, but is not capable of carrying weights.
- Malamut gives the impression of a powerful dog, which has developed muscles and strong bones and deprives it of its light and rapid movements. For her, the main characteristics are strength and endurance.
- Huskies are folded more proportionally, their movements are light and swift, their entire structure is subordinated to the main goal - fast and beautiful movement.
- The Malamute's facial expression is more benevolent, the husky are a bit like a crafty fox, which is so eager to mischief.
The most important and noticeable for ordinary people is the difference between the Husky and Malamute breeds - in the Malamute, according to the standard, only brown eyes are allowed, and Husky representatives can boast beautiful blue eyes that most people like so much.
The similarity of the Siberian Husky and Alaskan Malamute
Despite the many differences, there are similarities that mislead inexperienced people in the subtleties of dog breeding.
- Both breeds belong to the same category - northern sled dogs, intended for transportation of people and goods in winter conditions.
- These dogs have a thick coat that allows them to tolerate even extreme cold. In addition, its color standards are very similar.
- Malamute and Husky are about the same height. Malamute is only a couple of centimeters taller than its relative, which is imperceptible at first glance.
All this allows finding certain similarities in these breeds. It is necessary to realize that in spite of the fact that the dogs of the Husky and Malamute breeds belong to the same species, they are nevertheless two independent breeds, each of which represents a certain value for breeding.